Sunday, September 4, 2011

Material & Transparencies.

I was wondering what sort of light quality was possible out of slumped glass, bone china and the stoneware pieces. Also, I had no clue as to when the visit to the bone china factory was possible; so I took a sugar bowl and saucer made in bone china, a t-light lamp made in stoneware and held them against a bulb to see the sort of transparency the material possessed. 

Bone china is quite translucent (picture 1 & 2 below) whereas stoneware is opaque and allows light to pass though only from openings on the surface (picture 3 & 4 below).






The bone china and stoneware pieces when not held over a bulb (when light reflected on it).




It seems that a combination of the two materials could make a light piece dynamic and even add to the interaction.


Since I had no example of a slumped glass piece I took a picture of a light fitting in my house that emits light through a frosted glass sheet. I think this light quality is far from what fused+slumped glass can emit. I think due to the reheating and fusing process, surface texture and bubbles are formed in the glass piece which would only emit a inhomogeneous sort of a light quality exactly the opposite of what we see below.


I recently came across a slumped glass sink in a store. The image below gives an idea of the kind of texture and translucency expected from a slumped glass piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment