Monday, September 5, 2011

Form & its many Forms.

Ceramic as a material is so plastic that it allows for variable forms.
For the lights that I am making, Thomas wants me to explore form more instead of plain simple cubes, rectangles, spheres. He says that when a material allows you to do so, why am I not exploiting it enough?
Instead of worrying only about the interaction I should really consider the form as well. He started to push me towards natural and organic forms asking me to even use bioluminescent creature forms if required.

Initially I was a bit apprehensive about this suggestion (considering the fact that I do not have enough knowledge about the claybody to be able to adapt it to any form possible and that it would move away from my initial theme of 'play' and then the interactions and forming not being cohesive) but after close consideration I have started to feel the same. A material should be used because it NEEDS to be used and not because it HAS to be used. 

While looking at my theme of play and construction, I started getting attracted towards mazes, puzzles, tessellations and the likes. I have now realised that I can combine organic forms with the above to create that certain sense of INTRIGUE that is required in ceramic products.


An image for some inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment